Wednesday, February 6, 2008

During today's discussion in class I was intrigued by the notion of "trivial constructivism." I certaintly do not see myself as a radical constructivist because I cannot logically agree with the idea that there is no reality beyond an individual's personal perception. I do, however, find myself in agreeance with other constructivist characteristics. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I feel that individuals are responsible for their own point of view and are in control of defining and creating the world in which they live.

As far as apples are concerned, they exist whether or not we perceive them, at least in the dynamics of my reality. Someone asked today, "What caused the apple to get into the mind?" I see the apple as proof that there is a world independent of human perception. Otherwise, how would there be anything for us to perceive and experience for our personal realities?

2 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Metaphysical realism is, in my view, the best explanation of our experience (of apples).

Specific Relativity said...

Are you suggesting human experience is subjective, but occurs among (and thus, acknowledging the existence of) an objective reality?

If so, I agree.