Tuesday, April 22, 2008

aesthetics - (as defined by dictionary.com)
1.the branch of philosophy dealing with such notions as the beautiful, the ugly, the sublime, the comic, etc., as applicable to the fine arts, with a view to establishing the meaning and validity of critical judgments concerning works of art, and the principles underlying or justifying such judgments.
2.the study of the mind and emotions in relation to the sense of beauty.


"Beauty is no quality in things themselves: it exists merely in the mind which contemplates them." - David Hume

I find aesthetics to be distinctly important in one's life. The pursuit of aesthetics is not vain. For example, I desire environments that are clean, pretty, smell good & in these places I am more comfortable and ultimately this enhances my level of happiness. I don't think it's shameful to actively pursue, make judgements and decisions based on aesthetics.
At the same time, what is aesthetically pleasing to the individual is completely subjective & is much more important to some people than others. It is powerful to recognize how beauty exists in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.