Sunday, January 27, 2008

I aspire to be happy - not necessarily to 'find happiness', but to simply go to sleep at night content. I think that most things are a lot simpler than people choose to perceive them. Nothing is profound. Time is our most valuable investment and I don't care to spend it pondering the ways of the world. I do not mean to portray myself with ignorance towards philosophy, but I have a hard time finding importance in most things when I know that in 70 years my life and whatever I've done with it won't matter to anyone or anything. Why do I need to define my point of view toward the world? I don't enjoy justifying the way that I live if it makes me happy. I am confident in the way that I want to live, how I spend my time, who I surround myself with, and why I am who I am.

3 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

What is it about "pondering the ways of the world" that you find distasteful? Is that not what attending college, and being in an honors seminar, is all about?

Colleen Marshall said...

I rarely find satisfaction in "pondering the ways of the world," however, I have yet to describe it as distasteful. Perhaps I am hedonistic, but I do what makes me happy. This does not mean that I'm uninterested or ignorant. I'm listening & learning every day. That is why I am attending college, and that is why I am in your honors seminar.

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I didn't mean to use a word that fails to capture your view. My only point is this: From my perspective, there is always great satisfaction to be found in pondering the ways of the world. And, as a teacher, I strive to model and share some of that.